RT list: How to Grice a Toulmin

From: <jlsperanza@aol.com>
Date: Mon Dec 21 2009 - 08:35:01 GMT

Disimplicating Toulmin. Grice's Two Logics
No Buts About It
Grice cited by Toulmin

Well, not really -- but Toulmin's claim to fame was, in Oxford, his cheek
to go and criticise Strawson's Introduction to Logical Theory. Since
Strawson _does_ quote Grice (twice) in that epoch-making book, I take it that we
_can_ say that Toulmin does quote Grice. I append below the passage by
Strawson, where he refers to the 'pragmatic rule' whose operation was made
obvious to him by "H. P. Grice". This was vintage 1952.

Toulmin had arrived at Oxford in 1948, complete with his PhD from Cantab.
He first stayed as a visitor with Isaiah Berlin in New College, and a year
later he was appointed "University Lecturer in the Philosophy of Science".
He left Oxford in 1954.

In his work, Toulmin, while not caring to cite Grice -- except in this
roundabout way I point out to, by citing Strawson -- he does cite other members
 of Grice's (indeed Austin's) play group at Oxford -- those meeting on
Saturday mornings: thus he quotes from Warnock (in his essay co-authored with
Baier, "On describing" -- the ref. is to Warnock's article on 'hypothetical
statements'), R. M. Hare, J. O. Urmson (author of Parentheticals, etc), H.
L. A. Hart (famous for his 'defeasibility', etc.).

It would be interesting to compare Toulmin's views with Grice's in a number
 of respects:

"No buts about it"

In "Uses of Argument", Toulmin refers to "but" as an 'unruly connective'
which Logicians would rather be seen dead than herding it with the 'logical
goats'.

Grice will famously deal with 'but' -- in

   She was poor, but she was honest
   (Great War song)

at length in "Causal theory of perception" (online version -- NOT that
repr. in WoW). For Grice, as for Frege before him, 'but' _is_ "and" with a
conventional-implicature vengeance about it, which in Frege's parlance,
transpired as 'but's "colour" (Farbung).

---

Besides dismissing, Toulmin says, 'but' as an uruly connective, Logicians
will rather be seen dead than herding the non-logical goats of 'unruly
quantifiers' such as "most" and "few". Rather, Logicians deal with "all" and
"some", and "or". Here the issue is trickier, for indeed there _is_ a place
for  so-called pleonetetic logic, thus baptised by Altham after Geach.

-----

"No buts about it" is perhaps not a very clever to specify what I mean.
After all, if Grice's programme is valuable today, it's because his work on
CONVERSATIONAL, rather than conventional implicature. But the point here is
that  Grice's 'informalist' and 'neo-traditionalist' logicians (among which
we may  safely place Toulmin) make a 'mistake' (and this they share with
'formalists'  and 'modernists', Grice has it). The mistake, which is thus
'common' to  proponents of these two 'logics', is their inability to understand
properly the  nature of 'conversation' and its implicatures. In other words,
for all that  Toulmin has propounded re: 'working' (utens) vs 'idealised'
(docens) logic, it  may just be apter not to try to multiply logics beyond
necessity.

I noticed a few (at least two) sort of interesting cross-references
Toulmin/Grice, too.

* Toulmin makes a good point, made by anyone after Moore, almost, that one
thing is to "state" (Toulmin's favoured expression), another thing to
"imply"  ('in the sense of give it to understand'). This he makes on at least two
 occasions in Uses of Argument:

   -- re: the Punch line

      You can't be sick here +>  You are  not, and you won't

   -- re the weather forecaster:

       It will probably rain tomorrow

      where any 'autobiographical' comment about  the forecaster's beliefs
is "implied" but not "stated".

* He uses the colloquial expression "common ground" (also to be used by
Grice) when he says that warrants (rather than 'existential commitments, as
Grice will) are 'common ground' between 'conversationalists'.

* back to 'state' vs. 'say', Toulmin mentions 'that is to say', i.e. "i.e."
 as an analytical way of dealing with arguments (the conclusion is another
way of  saying what the premisses say). This seems to agree with Grice's
extended notion  of 'say'.

Grice's "Two logics" is an ambiguous title or header. I'm using as evidence
 of Grice's 'do not multiply logics beyond necessity', but if you DO a
word-search for "Logic and Conversation" you'll see that, scare quotes or not,
it is an expression, "Two logics", used by Grice, when referring to this
topic  that appealed Toulmin, whether there are "recognizably valid"
inferences, which  are not necessarily 'formal' but 'material.
Johnson has summarised Grice's and Toulmin's positions vis a vis the
so-called informal logic. But: he manages to misquote Grice's essay as "The
logic of conversation". (Johnson also discusses Strawson, whose 'Library of
Living Philosophers' volume carries an interesting essay on 'two kinds of
logic?'. And Johnson does some terrific work in identifying Ryle (possibly
Toulmin's major influence here) as precursor of this branch of 'informal logic'
(as it never was influential in England the way it was, even mandatory, in
the  USA).

Incidentally, since we were discussing Peirce, I see a couple of online
sources cross-referencing Peirce, Toulmin and Grice, plus this reference to an
 essay, "Grice in the wake of Peirce", published in "Pragmatics and
Cognition".

The issue raised by Toulmin allows for various responses. My favourite is
to 'disimplicate' him, i.e. allow that if there _are_ divergences, as
'connexive  logicians' claim between, say, 'and' and "&", it is still open to see
the  'formalist' logician as 'disimplicating' what the connexive logician
sees as  'entailing'.

I'm not meaning to say that to it's easy or desirable to "Grice" a Toulmin
-- cfr. Grice a Strawson, or neo-Strawson.

Some hasty remarks then along the historical notes on pragmatics.

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza

---

Strawson writes in "CHAPTER 6 : SUBJECTS, PREDICATES, AND EXISTENCE -- THE
TRADITIONAL  SYSTEM OF CATEGORICAL PROPOSITIONS l:
All x is y  -- No x is y -- Some x is y -- Some x is not y
"The system invites  comparison with  the predicative calculus. But there
are important   differences."
All alcohol is poisonous -- All elephants are   long-lived -- All tigers
growl -- All the guests sat down
All non-# is y  -- All x is non-y -- All non-# is  non-y
Instead of writing : * The  inference-pattern
xKy
yAz
.*. xAz
is valid ', I shall simply write  down the first-order  formula
xAy . yAz D x Az
The laws of the square  of opposition,  which give certain logical
relations between formulae in  which the
terms, their quality, and their order are the same.
The   Square of Opposition. The doctrine of the Square of Opposition
concerns   the logical relations between any two statements of different forms
having the  same subject and predicate. Since the terms, their position,
and   quality are identical in the related statements, we can symbolize the
laws   of the doctrine simply by using the letters A, E, I, O. The doctrine
is as   follows : A is the contradictory of O, and E of I; A and E are
contraries,   and I and O subcontraries ; A entails I, and E entails O. Since
there are  four figures, there are altogether 256 possible moods of the
syllogism. Of  these 256 only twenty-four are recognized as valid;
THE  ORTHODOX CRITICISMS OF THE SYSTEM. Criticisms of the traditional
system have centred round the question of whether or not, in using a   sentence
of one of the four forms, we are to be regarded as committing   ourselves
to the existence of anything answering to the description given  by  the
first term of the sentence. It is felt that this question cannot  be  left
unanswered ; for the answer to it makes a difference to
the  validity of  the laws. It is argued that the usage of the ordinary
words  (e.g., * all ')  corresponding to some of the constants of the system
varies in this  respect.
"Everyone agrees that it would be absurd to  claim that the  man who says
'All the books in his room are by   English authors' has made a true
statement, if the room referred to  has no  books in it at all.
Here is a case where the use of * all '  carries the  existential
commitment. On the other hand, it is said,  we sometimes use  'all ' without this
commitment. To take a classic example : the statement made  by 'All moving
bodies not  acted upon by external forces continue in a  state of uniform motion
in a  straight
line' may well be true even if  there never have been or  will be any
moving bodies not acted upon by  external forces. The consistency-problem for the
traditional system is then  posed as follows.  We must decide, with regard
to each of the four forms,  whether it carries  the existential commitment
or whether it does  not.
But, for any  plausible decision, i.e., any decision which keeps  the
constants of the  system reasonably close in sense to their use as  words of
ordinary speech,  we find that some of the laws of the traditional  system
become INVALID [emphasis mine. JLS]
It has generally been assumed  that, in the case of the particular  forms,
i.e., I and O, only one  decision was reasonable, viz., that they did carry
the existential commitment;  and that whichever decision was  made for one
of the universal forms, the  same decision should be made for  the other. So
the problem reduced itself  to a dilemma. Either the A and E forms have
existential import or they do not.  If  they do, one set of laws has to be
sacrificed as invalid; if they do  not,  another set has to go. Therefore no
consistent interpretation of the  system  as a whole, within the prescribed
limits, is possible.
We   should normally accept :All the books in his room are  by English
authors"  and "At least one of the  books in his room is not by an English
author" as  contradictories.  The second sentence seems very close in form to
(Ex)(Fx  .  ~Gx) which is the contradictory of (x)(fx --> gx). It is quite
unplausible to suggest that if  someone says ' Some students of English  will
get Firsts this year ', it is a sufficient condition of his having made a
true statement,  that no one at all should get a First. But this would be  a
consequence of accepting the above interpretation for I. Note that  the
dropping of the implication of plurality in * some ' makes only a  minor
contribution to the unplausibility of the translation. We should  think the
above suggestion no more convincing in the case of someone who  said "At  least
onestudent of English will get a First this year".
The  third  table of translations, then, does, if anything, less than the
other  two to remove our sense of separation from the mother tongue. Suppose
someone  says ' All John's children are asleep '.  Obviously he will not
normally,  or properly, say this, unless he believes  that John has children
(who are  asleep). But suppose he is mistaken. Suppose John has no children.
Then is it  true or false that all John's  children are asleep ? Either
answer would  seem to be misleading. But we are  not compelled to give either
answer.
We can, and normally should, say that, since John has  no  children,, the
question does not arise. But if the form of the statement were  ~(Ex)(fx.~gx)
the correct answer to the question,  whether it is true,  would be
"Yes"; for 4 ~ (3tf)(/#) * is a sufficient  condition of the  truth of *
~(3<r)(/# . ~gx) '. And if the form of the  statement were  either ~(3XA ~&)
*)(/) or ~ (3x)(fx .  ~gx) . (3x)(fx) .  (3x)(~gx)
the correct answer to the question would be  that the  statement was false;
for * ~(3ff )(/#)' * s inconsistent with both  these  formulae. But one
does -not happily give either answer simply on the ground that  the
subject-class is EMPTY. One says rather that the question of the truth or  falsity of
the statement simply does  not arise ; that one of the  conditions for
answering the question one way or  the other is not  fulfilled.
The adoption of any of the explicitly  existential analyses,  whether it be
a negatively existential one or a con-
junction of negatively  and positively existential components, forces us to
conclude that the  non-existence of
any children of John's is sufficient to  determine the  truth or falsity of
the general statement; makes it true for  the first  analysis, false for
the other two. The more realistic view seems to be that the  existence of
children of John's is a necessary pre-condition not merely of the  truth of what
is said, but of its being
either true or false. And this  suggests the possibility of interpreting
all the four Aristotelian forms on  these lines : that is, as  forms such that
the question of whether  statements exemplifying them are  true or false is
one that does not arise  unless the subject-class has  members. It is
important to understand why  people have hesitated to adopt such a view of at
least some general statements.  It is probably  the operation of the trichotomy
' either true or false or  meaningless ', as  applied to statements, which
is to blame. For this  trichotomy contains a  confusion : the confusion
between sentence and  statement.
1 Of course, the  sentence * All John's children are asleep ' is not
meaningless. It is  perfectly significant. But it is senseless to ask, of  the
sentence,  whether it is true or false. One must distinguish between  what can
be said about the sentence, and what can be said about the statements
made, on  different occasions, by the use of the sentence. It is about
statements only  that the question of truth or falsity can arise ; and  about these
it can  sometimes fail to arise. But to say that the man who  uses the
sentence in  our imagined case fails to say anything either true  or false, is
not to say  that the sentence he pronounces is meaningless.  Nor is It to deny
that he makes a mistake. Of course, it is incorrect (or  deceitful) for
him to  use this sentence unless (a) he thinks he is  referring to some
children whom  he thinks to be asleep ; (b) he thinks  that John has children ;
(c) he  thinks that the children he is referring  to are John's. We might
say that in  using the sentence he commits himself  to the existence of
children of  John's. It would
prima facie be a kind  of logical absurdity to say * All  John's children
are asleep ; but John  has no children '. And we may be  tempted to think of
this kind of logical  absurdity as a straightforward  self-contradiction ;
and hence be led once  more towards an analysis like  that of Table 2 ; and
hence to the  conclusion that
the man who says * All  John's children are asleep ',  when John has no
children, makes a false  statement. But there is no need  to be led, by
noticing this kind of logical  absurdity, towards this  conclusion. For if a
statement S presupposes a  statement S' in the sense  that the truth of S' is a
precondition of the  truth-or-
falsity of S,  then of course there will be a kind of logical  absurdity in
conjoining S  with the denial of S'. This is precisely the relation, in our
imagined case,  between the statement that all John's  children are asleep
(S) and the  statement that John has children, that there  exist children of
John's  (S'). But we must distinguish this kind of logical  absurdity from
straightforward self-contradiction. It is self-contradictory  to conjoin S
with the denial of S' if S' is a necessary condition of the  truth, simply,
 of S. It is a different kind of logical absurdity to conjoin  S with the
denial of S' if S' is a necessary condition of the truth or  falsity of S.
The relation between S and S' in the first case is that S entails S'. We
need a  different name for the relation between S and S'  in the second case ;
let  us say, as above, that S presupposes S'. Similar considerations hold
for I;  though mention of I reminds us  of one not unimportant reservation we
must  make, before simply concluding  that the constants ' all *, ' some ',
* no  ' of the traditional system can  be understood, without danger to any
of  the rules, as having just the sense  which these words have in the hosts
of  ordinary statements of the kind we are discussing. And this is a point
already  made : viz., that 'some ',  in its most common employment as a
separate  word,
1 Compare the  discussion of the truth-functional system, Chapter  3,
pp. 68-69.
carries an  implication of plurality which is  inconsistent with the
requirement that  should be the strict contradictory  of A, and I of E. So * some
', occurring  as a constant of the system, is  to be interpreted as ' At
least one . . .'  or ' At least one of the . .  .', while * all ' and * no ',
so occurring, can  be read  as
themselves.  The interpretation which I propose for the   traditional forms
has, then, the following merits : (a) it enables the  whole  body of the
laws of the system to be accepted without inconsistency  ; (b) with  the
reservation noted above, it gives the constants of the  system just the sense
which they have in a vast group of statements of  ordinary speech ; (c) it
emphasizes an important general feature of  statements of that group, viz.,
that  while the  existence of members  of their subject-classes is not a part
of  what is asserted in such  statement, it is, in the sense we have
examined, presupposed by them. It  is this last feature which makes it
unplausible to regard assertions of  existence as either the whole, or  conjunctive
or disjunctive parts, of the  sense of  such ordinary statements  as All the
men at work on  the  scaffolding have gone home
or Some of the men are still at   work This was the reason why we were
unhappy about regarding
such   expressions as ' (x)(fx --> gx) ' as giving the form of these
sentences  ;  and why our uneasiness was not to be removed by the simple addition
of  positively or negatively existential formulae. Even the   resemblance
between There is not a single book in his  room which is not by  an English
author and the negatively existential  form ' ~ (Ex)(fx . ~ gx)  was
deceptive. The former, as normally used, carries the  presupposition
'books-in-his-room ' and is far from being entailed by   'not-a-book-in-his-room ' ;
whereas the latter is entailed by  ~(3x)(fx).  So it is that if someone, WITH A
SOLEMN FACE, says, "There is not a single  foreign book in his  room and then
later reveals that there  are no  books in the  room at all, we
have the sense, not of having been lied  to, but of having  been made the
victim of a sort of linguistic
outrage.  Of course he did  not say there were any books in the room, so he
has not  said anything false.
Yet what he said gave us the right to assume that there  were, so he has
misled us. For what he said to be true (or false) it is  necessary  (though
not sufficient) that there should be books in the room.  Of this  subtle sort
is the relation between, 'There is not a book in his  room  which is not by
an English author'
and 'There are books in  his  room \ l What weakens our resistance to the
negatively  existential  analysis in this case more than in the case of the
corresponding * All  '-sentence is the powerful attraction
of the  negative opening phrase * There  is not . . .'. To avoid
misunderstanding I  must add one point about this proposed interpretation of the forms
of the  traditional system. I do not  claim that it faithfully represents
the  intentions of its principal  exponents. They were, perhaps, more
interested  in formulating rules  governing the logical relations of more imposing
general statements than the  everyday ones I have mostly considered ; were
interested, for example, in the  logical powers of scientific
generalizations, or of other sentences which  approximate more closely to  the desired
conditions that if their utterance by  anyone, at any time, at  any place,
results in a true statement, then so does  their utterance by  anyone else, at
any other time, at any other place. We have  yet to  consider how far the
account here given of certain general sentences  of
common speech is adequate for all generalizations.
FOOTNOTE: "Some  will say these points are irrelevant to logic  (are
'merely pragmatic'). If  to call them *irrelevant to logic* is to  say that they
are not considered  in formal systems, then this is a point I  should wish
not to dispute, but  to emphasize. But to logic as  concerned with the
relations between general  classes of statements occurring  in ordinary use, with
the general  conditions under which such statements are  correctly called *
true *or '  false'' these points are not irrelevant. Certainly a 'pragmatic '
consideration,  a general rule of  linguistic conduct, may perhaps be seen
to underlie  these points: the rule,  namely, that one does not make the
(logically)  lesser, when one could  truthfully (and with equal or greater
linguistic  economy) make the greater,  claim. Assume for a moment that the form
"There  is  not a single . . . which is not . . ." were introduced into
ordinary  speech with the same sense as ~(Ex)(fx . ~gx). Then  the  operation
of this general rule would inhibit the use of this form where one  could
truly say simply There is not a single . .  .  (or ~(Ex)(fx  & ~Gx). And the
operation of this inhibition  would tend to confer on  the introduced form
just those logical  presuppositions which I have  described. The form would
tend, if it did  not remain OTIOSE, to develop  just those differences I have
emphasized from  the logic of the symbolic  form it was introduced
to represent. The  operation of this 'pragmatic  rule' was first pointed
out to me, in a  different connexion, by Mr. H. P.  Grice."