Re: RT list: Did Peirce offer an inferential theory of communication (prior t...

From: <Jlsperanza@aol.com>
Date: Wed Dec 09 2009 - 11:36:34 GMT

In a message dated 12/9/2009 3:35:14 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ernst-august_gutt@sil.org writes:

P acknowledged
importance of inferential processes in acquisition of knowledge in general
(deduction, induction, abduction), and hence applied inference to
communication as well; however, did not recognize the special challenge of
intentional human communication, esp. the challenge of coordinating the
inferential processing of the audience with the intentions of the
communicator. In that sense, while interpretative semiotics recognised the
insufficiency of coding alone and brought out the importance of inference
(as part of general epistemics), it did not really come up with an
inferential theory that would explain intentional human communication in
particular.

---- Oops, that was pretty technical, wasn't it! On the other hand, my
remarks on the Peirce-Grice interface were done, I hoped, in the manner of the
rather 'untechnical' Oxford philosophy of ordinary language! The remarks
cited by Chapman by Grice on Peirce I find charming, and someone should
re-type this for this list. It's interesting that Gutt is into 'translation'
studies -- not a topic considered too seriously by philosophers, alas; indeed,
if I were to recommend a philosopher's view on translation, it would be to
Haas's contribution to the symposium with the Aristotelian Society and
repr. in Parkinson, Theories of Meaning. Cheers. jls