RT list: Re: Warm Beer At Awesome Picnics

From: <Jlsperanza@aol.com>
Date: Tue Oct 06 2009 - 18:00:12 BST

I have not yet found my comments to Perry, but by re-reading her post and
example, it dawned on me that I had entitled the post, as her example
merited, a proper header.

"Awful" is a wonderful word. Talking of subsententials, I was watching
BEAUTIFUL Olivia Williams in "The Heart of Me":

   (to lodger)

      Would you mind awfully?

---- The DVD commenter, the script writer, as she adapted Rosamond Lehman's
 novel, notes that this is a moment where the assumed 'snobbery' of the
Birkett sisters evaporate.

It struck me that what Madelaine possibly meant is

   Would you mind awfully (getting lost)?

----

On the other hand there's the apocryphal comment by the King of England (as
 he then was) upon entering St. Paul's cathedral:

   "Awful".

He meant awesome.

They say good bear should (I don't do beer) taste and look and 'touch' as
warm horse urine. So I'm never sure if warm beer is the implicature of an
AWEful  picnic. Mind, I'm never sure what is picked at the nick picknicking.
(* In the  South of America, picnic is derogatory, I heard -- cfr. Horn,
"Etymythologies",  for the Elizabethan Club at New Haven). I never attended one!
(Do Glyndebourne  ones count? "Glyndebourne at its hedonistic best", Hall
writes in his memoirs).

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza

In a message dated 9/14/2009 9:34:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Jlsperanza