RT list: The editor of Mode

From: <Jlsperanza@aol.com>
Date: Tue Oct 06 2009 - 17:08:09 BST

In a message dated 10/6/2009 5:58:09 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
alessandro.capone@istruzione.it writes:

The editor of Mode:

That is the editor of Mode

The editor of Mode has just come in)

then it is possible to recover, on the basis of

"The editor of Mode"

two different utterances:

17 a The woman who is standing next to the door is the editor of Mode
17b The editor of Mode has just walked in

--- Indeed an excellent comment by a referee. And to realise that he was
blind makes it all the more worthwhile.

----

Incidentally, I meant to reply this post to the list by this new member, on
 'implicated' content. And I may have my response somewhere in my  files,
so I will look for it.

Grice is clear re: enrichment and reference assignment (Logic and
Conversation) as Part of what is said. Granted, it was a 'favoured' use --.

With the subsentential, "The editor of Mode", I would need the
conversational context (Grice possibly hated that word, 'context'!).

And, to echo that comment which compared me with the third-grade English
teacher, shouldn't it be editress if you want to emphasise it's a female?
Just joking!

JL Speranza