RT list: Annals of Analysis

From: <jlsperanza@aol.com>
Date: Fri Jul 31 2009 - 20:51:08 BST

S. Oswald: "Would anyone have an electronic copy of Deirdre Wilson's &
Dan Sperber's "On Grice's theory of conversation" found in In P. Werth
(ed.) Conversation and Discourse. Croom Helm, London : 155-78? Many
thanks in advance"

-- I´m fascinated you are merely (even) asking for a copy of that
essay. Please note that the mimeo dated 1977: one of the earliest
exegetical Griceana ever! I do have some experience with the Pragmatics
Microfiche: I was once trying to locate the EARLIEST negation alla
Grice, and Levinson (Pragmatics) quotes this Schwenter (again,
Pragmatics Microfiche, 1977). I was hoping I´d get a discussion of "No,
I´m not in love", or something -- Schwenter´s essay features "Gricean"
in the title. No such luck, though. The mimeo, which as I recall I
obtained via Inter-Library Loan (I love to give them -- sic --
librarians some good stuff) from Dept. of Linguistics Cambridge, as I
remember, focuses boringly on

~(Ex)Kx & ~Bx
(Ex)Kx & ~Bx -- where B and K refers to royal capillarity.

and credits "Grice and Myro" from some "interesting personal
correspondence in these matters". Schwenter taught at some college in
Massachussets, Worcester mabbe?

Just to GET Wilson/Sperber essay I did order from Croom Helm the
expensive hardcover by Werth only to be disappointed that few of the
contributors were half as engaging and critically Gricean as "our pair"!

Cheers,

=0
AJ. L. Speranza,
  The Grice Club