RT list: Hekademos

From: <jlsperanza@aol.com>
Date: Fri Jul 24 2009 - 16:29:50 BST

F. Yus quotes from a Lang title on engineering (:)):
"the author draws on
relevance theory's generic concept of cognitive environment and uses it
to describe the academic context in particular. This theoretical
perspective provides novel insights into motivations, abilities and
preferences of engineering academics when using metadiscourse in the
two
genres under study."

---
Have you sometimes noticed that "academia" is a mouthful, and
disarticulated one at that? M. Chase has informed me that the person in
memory of whom this olive grove was built off Athens was "Hekademos"!
(Talk of hyper-correction).
In any case, having been to all sorts of hekademias, I wonder about
Grice!
(S. R. Chapman makes a big point about Grice perhaps going over the top
when comparing the Athenian dialectic with the Oxonian dialectic -- and
if he meant Athenian to include Hekademia was that metonymy? -- the
place is obviously, by Plato´s design, ´withou the city walls´.
This should merit a longer discussion, but it always amused me that the
original "Hekademos" discourse did probably have very little in common
with a lecturer in engineering!  --- Cheers, J. L. S.