Re: RT list: Prepositions and conceptual/procedural meaning?

From: Minh Dang <minhducdang@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Jul 06 2009 - 01:35:26 BST

If we rely on the compositionality, some prepositions will appear to be conceptual: they can be modified by others. For example:

(1) Is the photo completely in the frame?
(2) It is completely beyond doubt that it is not.

Some others, may appear to be procedural: they cannot be modified.

(3) Tom lives in London. (*completely in London)
(4) They moved to Leeds in 1975. (* totally to Leed)

And as can be seen from (1) and (3), encoded in the single linguistic form IN is both conceptual and procedural information.

We may need to define what is preposition first.

Minh