RT list: The Atlas Complex

From: <Jlsperanza@aol.com>
Date: Fri Jul 03 2009 - 12:44:20 BST

Just a little note, after reading R. Carston's 2009 in IRP that she does
not give the subtitle of Atlas's book, which I found charming:

"Logic, Meaning, and Conversation: Semantical Underdeterminacy,
Implicature, and Their Interface."

(I collect books with flowers or 'implicature' on the cover).

---

Anyway, D. Sonneson, an Austrian whom I know, spoke repeatedly of "the
Atlas complex". I asked him, "I hope you don't mean Jay David". "No", he said.
"I mean the Greek god". In any case, in TEFL, and TESOL, the name of
Soneson is  known as having introduced the "Atlas complex": this is the complex of
carrying  the world on your shoulders. Soneson, who is into machinery,
thinks that with  power-point and other gadgets, that is no longer the case in
academia -- from  what I understood of his phrastic.

In his first book, Atlas plays with his Jewish surname -- and recalls the
days at Wolfson -- where he studied 'under', inter alii, A. P. J. Kenny (as
I  recall). Atlas should always be applauded for bringing that Kenny,
"Practical  Inference" piece to the forum. I once contacted Kenny for a related
query. Kenny  was then President of the British Academy and I _think_ he was
pleased to learn  that Grice had made a mention of him in the British-Academy
lecture (1971) when  Kenny was still 'would-be' president. A small world,
as they say.

Oddly, Atlas has _no_ complex -- I find it all very simple, if not
simplistic! He is what I'd call not so much a neo-Gricean but a Gricean
_simpliciter_. (I restrict the term 'paleo-Gricean' to Aristotle and the Master
hisself: Grice and Atlas is _young_.)

Cheers,
JL Speranza

   -- I note incidentally, re my "Open texture" that Carston  indeed quotes
from the Waismann reprint (1951) rather than the (1945) P. A. S.  locus.
But my point about reanalysis still holds, I hope. (good old Kneale -- we
would be speaking of 'porosity' otherwise -- and who needs 'of concepts' (des
begriffe), anyway.

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585087x1201462804/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=
JulystepsfooterNO62)