Re: RT list: question to D Wilson

From: Chris Lucas <cbl23@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Tue Jun 02 2009 - 12:15:40 BST

On the first issue, it is worth consulting the work of Peter Carruthers (in
particular The Architecture of the Mind: massive modularity and the
flexibility of thought. OUP, 2006), who has long argued for modularity of
the mind, but where modules are not required to have all the properties of
what he calls a 'Fodor module', i.e. most people's conception of what
constitutes a mental module, following the work of Jerry Fodor. Importantly
for the issue you raise, one property that 'Carruthers modules' need not
have that Fodor modules do have is innateness. Thus Carruthers argues that
almost all cognition works via modules, but only a subset of these are
directly the product of genetic inheritance. The argument in the case of
your friend would be that she, in common with all literate people, did have
a dedicated reading/writing module (probably a sub-module for each), which
was unfortunately compromised by the stroke, but there would be no
suggestion that this module was innate. (There has clearly not been time
since the invention of writing for our species to evolve an innate module
for reading/writing.)

Best,

Chris Lucas.

--