Re: RT list: Re: Prosody and Discourse Connectives

From: tim wharton <twharton@clara.co.uk>
Date: Sat Feb 21 2009 - 09:32:12 GMT

Dear Qiufen,

Deirdre Wilson and I wrote a paper a couple of years back outlining some
of the ways in which the pragmatics of prosody might be approached. This
includes discussion of procedural meaning. The reference is: Wilson, D.
and T. Wharton (2006) Relevance and prosody. /Journal of Pragmatics/ 38:
1559-1579._
_
In my forthcoming book, Pragmatics and Non-Verbal Communication (CUP), I
develop some of these ideas with reference to Diane Blakemore's work on
procedural meaning and discourse connectives.

Having said that, it's not clear to me that we'd want to single out
prosody and discourse connectives as being the two 'main' types of
procedural information used in British English (if I am understanding
you correctly). I don't have any figures, but would imagine that
pronouns are more common in speech than connectives (or at least as
common as connectives). Pronouns are, of course, excellent candidates
for encoding procedural meaning.

Best wishes,

Tim