RE: RT list: relevance theory and discourse?

From: <ernst-august_gutt@sil.org>
Date: Wed Jan 28 2009 - 13:05:38 GMT

Dear all,

It seems to me that the notion of indeterminacy due to weak communication
takes care of most of these concerns about the open-endedness of intended
interpretations. Beyond the matter of intended interpretation there is then,
of course, the matter of further possible inferences triggered by the
cognitive principle of relevance. (In fact, the cognitive principle of
relevance sometimes seems to interfere with the recovery of the
communicator's intended interpretation: the addressee may go off on a
tangent following a track of inferences that appear to him/her of higher
relevance than the information offered by the communicator.)

Best wishes,
Ernst-August Gutt