RT list: relevance theory and discourse?

From: Mai Zaki <maizaki@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jan 27 2009 - 16:12:33 GMT

Hi everyone,

Following from my question about the inferences speakers/writers make in the
encoding phase, I would like to ask about what relevance theory has to say
about discourse structure. In dealing with written texts, do we need to
refer to a theory of discourse structure to account for writers strategies
in using specific linguistic items or can we use RT on its own for this
purpose? On the other hand, what are the theories of discourse structure
that could be said to be compatible with RT? For example, Grosz and Sidner
Theory of Global Focus?

Thanks a lot.

Mai Zaki