Re: RT list: inference in encoding?

From: <Jlsperanza@aol.com>
Date: Fri Jan 23 2009 - 19:36:49 GMT

In a message dated 1/22/2009 10:07:39 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
maizaki@gmail.com writes:

Does anyone know of any work that has been concerned with the role of
inference during the encoding stage (for the speaker) rather than the decoding
stage (for the hearer)?
For example, what kind of inferential activity is going on in the mind of
the speaker when s/he utters a referring expression?

----

Grice: Aspects of reason and reasoning!

If S would not be able to infer, we'd have a one-side coin! Surely the
beauty of the Gricean reason-based model is that it's never Janus-faced!

In the case of referring expression, Grice (repr. in "Definite
Descriptions", MIT) wants to be cautious re: Donnellan (he would not buy all  that stuff
about referential vs. attributive) but his (i.e. Grice's) great  examples of
'the duchess's butler mixed up all our hats' may be illuminating as  to what kind
of _dossier_ (to echo Evans's reuse of that word, "Varieties of  Reference")
goes through, metarepresentationally, in S's mind (if she has  any!).

Cheers,

JLS
    Grice Club, etc.

ps. And be careful with 'encoding': Grice belongs in _Charta Magna_ land:
the fewer codes the better, if not best!
steps!
cemailfooterNO62)