Re: RT list: inference in encoding?

From: Mai Zaki <maizaki@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Jan 23 2009 - 11:38:01 GMT

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for your comments. What I am thinking now is: it seems that
there are two kinds of inferences speakers (writers) make at the level of
production: (a) inferences related to the assumptions they want to make and
how they correspond to their own abilities and preferences (which is part of
the RT comprehension procedure); and (b) inferences related to the speaker's
assumptions about the hearer's cognitive environment (as Thornstein
explains) which would also include the assumptions Billy talks about
('*assumptions
not only about which assumptions will be manifest to addressees but also
about what addressees will do when presented with the evidence provided by
their utterances'* )
The question is, does any one kind of inferences have primacy over the
other? In other words, in analysing specific examples, can we say that in
choosing a particular linguistic form (say, a referring expression) the
speaker has achieved a certain cognitive effect (a certain implicated
conclusion for example) because he has made a set of inferences of one
specific kind? Another question is, as far as speakers (or writers) are
concerned, do they make a conscious decision about which kind of inferences
they will let to prevail?

On the other hand, in regards to the chicken-and-egg questions Ernst-August
asks, isn't it in effect asking Why do people communicate? I think the
layman's explanation would be "to convey certain assumptions", but the
technical explanation would add "which extends the mutual cognitive
environment"..

Mai