VS: RT list: inference in encoding?

From: Thorstein Fretheim <thorstein.fretheim@hf.ntnu.no>
Date: Thu Jan 22 2009 - 15:38:17 GMT

  _____

Fra: Thorstein Fretheim [mailto:thorstein.fretheim@hf.ntnu.no]
Sendt: 22. januar 2009 16:36
Til: 'Mai Zaki'
Kopi: 'relevance@linguistics.ucl.ak.uk'
Emne: SV: RT list: inference in encoding?

Hi Mai,

I guess it all depends what kind of referring expression the speaker (S) is
producing. S will choose a linguistic form that can be expected to be
optimally relevant to the hearer (H). So an indexical will be chosen when
there's a good reason to believe H to be able to access the intended
referent via association with an antecedent (working memory), while a
definite description may be interpreted as an act of describing the referent
in the way displayed, and S then presumably expects H to be able to figure
out whether the description contributes to relevance mainly by directing H
to the intended referent (a constituent of the proposition expressed), or
mainly by directing H to a higher-level explicature (like S's attitude to
the proposition expressed), or mainly as a cue to derivation of some
implicature. S's "inferential activity" related to selection of a particular
referring expression will, I think, involve taking H's perspective
(inferences about what to permit oneself to take for granted and what not to
take for granted, etc) -- as always when we consider what the SPEAKER INFERS
in acts of encoding information.
Sorry, I have no bibliographic information to supply.

Best,

Thorstein Fretheim

  _____