RT list: Plicatures Galore

From: <Jlsperanza@aol.com>
Date: Wed Jan 21 2009 - 15:06:46 GMT

In a message dated 1/18/2009 4:01:54 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
alessandro.capone@istruzione.it writes:
I have a terminological difficulty - when I expalin the process of the
explicature, I am tempted to sue the term 'The speaker conversationally
implicates that p'.

I am not sure that we could replace this with 'The speaker
conversationally explicates that p' - but this seems to be a logical
conclusion.

----
Indeed, Maestro Capone. The logical  conclusion. If you think of it, both
IMplico ('inplico' -- _sic_ in Short/Lewis,  Latin Dictionary -- cfr. their
'iNplicatura', sic, used by Sidonius, and tr. as  'entanglement'! by Wright in the
Loeb Classical Library) and EXplico are  variants, of, ... er, 'plico'...
Some purists would like to play with  variants of 'implicit' versus
'explicit', but no need! especially when the OED  -- thanks to some correspondence in
the ADS-L -- is taking innovative steps in  recognition of innovative (_how_
innovative) terminology!
In your other  post:
"I am not sure that one sees
many original contributions to  knowledge published these days, and
certainly not at the level of Paul  Grice."
It's very weird. If one reads S. R. Chapman, "A life of Grice"  (Palgrave)
one notes a _development_ of sorts; it seems, tragically, that as the  man
(Grice) felt he was dying, he did want to publish more and more, although  hardly a
case of 'publish or perish'. There are tons of work to be done at UC/B,
Bancroft, in, for one, transcribing, his analogical tapes into digital format,  or
other sort of amanuensis work.
OTOH, Chapman wittily reconstructs the  'birth of conversational reason' as
it were (I'm punning on Botticelli -- cfr.  my "The feast of reason") way back
to the Monday seminars (by Grice) as  'university lecturer' in Oxford. Amazing
that a man who could not type would  keep, and more importantly, export to
the USA when his body made it there, too,  all the detailed developments of his
'principles, maxims,' and what have you. I  am charmed by his constant
attempts at originality and humour -- like in the  labelling of his principles of
conversational candour, self-love, et al. I  cannot think that he was aiming at
charming any other than hisself (sic) --. If  he did charm others in the
proceedings, the more we are  blessed...
Cheers,
J. L.
The Grice Club, etc.
The  Swimming-Pool Library