Re: RT list: Defending the Explicature

From: Andre Sytnyk <andre.sytnyk@gmail.com>
Date: Fri May 02 2008 - 05:55:20 BST

Oh, those are the same kinds of dictionaries that my first-year students
consult when they come up with such 'malapropisms' as:

My family isn't very large. We are 5: my mother, my father, myself, grandpa
and grandma. We live on a farm. I have a pet. It's a pussy. Sometimes my
grandpa's cock scares my pussy...

Maybe 'naughty' explicatures become diachronically more relevant/salient
than their 'dull' counterparts (are we talking about explicatures here or
cancellable GCIs) ?

Best,
Andre