Re: RT list: Re: Translating BUT

From: Miri Hussein <M'i.Hussein@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Tue Mar 04 2008 - 14:22:11 GMT

Hi Minh,

I still don’t understand what you mean by “What sort of information
assists you in your translation? Or what do you consider when you do
this?”

I did not do the translation myself. The English sentences including ‘but’
have been translated by (Arabic/English) Bilingual postgraduate students.

I also have data from translated work such as the Holy Quran. Consider,
for instance, the translation of the English correction ‘but’ into ‘bal’

’am yaqul&#363;na bihi &#287;inatun ‘bal’ &#287;a’ahum bilhaq
Or they say in him madness ‘but’ brought them with truth

‘Or say they: “There is madness in him?” Nay, ‘but’ he brought them the
truth.’

(The Holy Quran: Part 23, Verse 70: Translated by Abdullah Yusuf Ali 1934)

Best

Miri