Re: RT list: Re: Translating BUT

From: Miri Hussein <M'i.Hussein@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Tue Mar 04 2008 - 11:05:21 GMT

Hi Minh,

Well, I think, the contextual information does not affect the translation
of English ‘but’ into different linguistic items as in Arabic or other
languages. It is rather the lexical nature of ‘but’ what controls the
choice of the cognitive effect. ‘But’ is an ambiguous linguistic
expression. I don’t think that contextual information has any influence on
the translation process.

If we want to take this from a Blakemorian relevance-theoretical
procedural point of view, we can say that the linguistic meaning encoded
by ‘but’ plays a role in constraining the choice of cognitive effect and
it is not the other way round. And if, it is true that the English ‘but’
is an ambiguous item, then it has to encode different meanings and thus
separate (though related) procedures. Or am I wrong?

Best