Re: RT list: Re: Translating BUT

From: Miri Hussein <M'i.Hussein@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Fri Feb 01 2008 - 16:40:56 GMT

Well, if the claim of Anscombre & Ducrot (1977) and Horn (1989) that ‘but’
in English is ambiguous is true, then this means that there are more than
one ‘but’ in English.

Given the ambiguity account of ‘but’, let’s assume that we have three
‘buts’ in English:

But 1= (‘lakinna’ in Standard Arabic) = DENIAL
But 2= contrast = (‘’innama’ in Standard Arabic) = CONTRAST
But 3= correction= (‘bal’ in Standard Arabic) = CORRECTION

Which are morphologically the same but slightly different in lexical
import. Now if the multi-procedural account of ‘but’ is right, then each
‘but’ will encode a procedure which is different from that encoded by the
other ‘but’ and by that, we will end up having three separate procedures:

But1:
Procedure= What follows bal denies and replaces an assumption communicate
(or manifest) in what precedes it.

But2:
Procedure= What follows bal c and contradicts an assumption communicate
(or manifest) in what precedes it.

But3:
Procedure= What follows bal corrects and replaces an assumption
communicate (or manifest) in what precedes it.

Now, regarding your question on how we ‘as hearers’ choose the relevant
independent procedure encode by ‘but’ and whether the procedure encoded by
‘but’ constrains the contextual effect or vice versa, my view is the
following:

I don’t think that the contextual information offers great help in
choosing the relevant procedure encoded by ‘but’, it is rather the other
way round. The lexical import of ‘but’ is what facilitates the choice of
the relevant cognitive effect.

I imagine that, assuming the RT has search machine like Google or Yahoo,
if we type the linguistic item ‘but’ in the search filed, we will get
cognitive effect and not vice versa, we will not get the linguist item
‘but’ as a result if we type the cognitive effect.

In some situations, we might have the three different reading of ‘but’ in
the same context.

Consider the following example:

(1) The gentleman is not the smiling quite person sitting at the table but
the frowned angry one quarrelling with the waiter.

But in the above sentence can have three different readings. Consider the
following scenario: John and his friend Peter are at the restaurant to
have their lunch. By accident David, John’s brother comes to the same
restaurant. John comes to David and asks him to join their table. David
asks John whether he is alone or accompanied by somebody. John tells David
that his friend the gentle man is having lunch with him. David looks at
the table and sees two persons around to the table and then says to him
“your friend must the smiling quite person sitting at the table” and John
replies uttering (1). In this scenario, but encodes a denial of
expectation meaning. John’s brother’s expectation (given in the first
conjunct) is that a gentleman has to be a smiling and quite person.
However, this expectation is denied by the second conjunct (the frowned
angry person quarrelling with the waiter). ‘But’ in the same scenario can
have a contrastive meaning as well. It encodes a contrastive relationship
between to prepositions ‘the smiling quite person sitting at the table’ as
given in the first conjunct and ‘the frowned angry person quarrelling with
the waiter’ as given in the second conjunct. ‘But’ in this very scenario
can receive a third reading namely ‘correction’. In this sense Johns, by
uttering (1) intends to correct his brother’s through about his friend.
Thus, in (1) the second conjunct (frowned angry person quarrelling with
the waiter) provides a correct replacement to the second conjunct (the
smiling quite person sitting at the table).

Jokingly, I guess that the best way to determine the relevant procedure
encoded by but is to have three different linguistic items which mean but
in English. Other languages do have this.

Best,

Miri