RT list: 3rd International Symposium on Intercultural, Cognitive and Social Pragmatics - Call for papers

From: <mpadillacruz@us.es>
Date: Sat Aug 04 2007 - 18:34:59 BST

Dear all,

Since I did not know that the RT list does not distribute attachments, I have cut and pasted below the contents of the call for papers for EPICS III. I hope that there is no problem now and you receive the information. Sorry for all the mails that I have sent.

I look forward to meeting you in Seville.

Best,

Dr. Manuel Padilla Cruz
UNIVERSIDAD DE SEVILLADepartamento de Filología Inglesa (Lengua Inglesa) Facultad de Filología c/ Palos de la Frontera, s/n. 41004 Sevilla (Spain) mpadillacruz@us.es

Dear colleagues:

The research group ‘Intercultural Pragmatic Studies (English-Spanish): Pragmatic and Discourse Aspects’ of the University Pablo de Olavide of Seville (Spain) is pleased to announce its Third Symposium on Intercultural, Cognitive and Social Pragmatics (EPICS III – Encuentros de Pragmática Intercultural, Cognitiva y Social), to be held in February 20-22 2008.

The third edition of the symposium will be devoted to “Intercultural Pragmatics and Language Teaching”. Dr. Helen Spencer-Oatey, Director of the Centre for English Language Teacher Education, Warwick University, U.K. and Dr. Victoria Escandell-Vidal, Professor of Linguistics at the UNED, Spain, have confirmed their presence as the symposium’s keynote speakers.

The Symposium will serve as a forum where applied linguists and practitioners of Pragmatics and Discourse Analysis can meet, share experiences, discuss common problems, and present papers on their latest research in the field. EPICS III also wishes to create awareness among graduating students of the growing interest in this area of linguistic expertise.

Submissions
We welcome original papers, written in English or Spanish (20 minutes in length, the last 5 minutes will be devoted to questions and discussion) on any topic relevant to the mission of “Intercultural Pragmatics and Language Teaching”. The symposium is especially interested in papers that:

- explore the implications of pragmatics research for theoretical developments and practical applications in the fields of second language acquisition and intercultural communication,
- discuss language in use in the context of cross-cultural interaction,
- analyze pragmatics research findings from the perspective of bi- and multilingual development,
- study the nature of interaction of bi- and multilinguals and language learners,
- investigate the effect of dual language and multilingual systems on the development and use of pragmatics skills,
- examine the teachability and learnability of pragmatic skills in instructional environments

Participants should submit one-page abstract (500 words) accompanied by a step-by-step outline of the presentation and the following information:

1. Author’s name(s) and affiliation
2. Title of paper
3. Audio-visual equipment required (VHS video, OHP, cassette)
4. E-mail address(es)
5. Postal address(es)

Electronic submissions as e-mail attachments (RTF,ASCII, HTML) are highly encouraged. Proposals may be sent to Reyes Gomez (rgommor@upo.es), Manuel Padilla (mpadillacruz@us.es), or Mariola Hernández (mariolahl@upo.es).
Submissions by fax will not be accepted. Those without e-mail access can send 2 printed copies of your abstract, outline and accompanying information to:

Lucía Fernández Amaya

Dpto. Filología y Traducción (Área de Filología Inglesa)
Universidad Pablo de Olavide
Autovía A-376, km. 1
41013 Sevilla

Dates
Deadline for receipt of abstracts is October 30, 2007. Notification of acceptance will be sent by November 20, 2007. The committee will plan the programme as soon as it has selected the successful abstracts, so please indicate on the abstracts if you cannot present your paper on any day of the conference (February 20-22). It is very difficult to reschedule papers after the programme has been planned.

Publication
EPICS III participants are welcome to submit their papers to be considered for publication. The final text of the presentation can be submitted (Word or RTF format) after the symposium but no later than June 1, 2008. Style guidelines will be included in a second call for papers.

Fees

Until January 20, 2008From January 20, 2008 onwards
Students........................................ 30 €Students ......................................... 30 €
Attendants ................................... 60 €Attendants ..................................... 70 €

The account to deposit the registration fee will also be included in the second call for papers. Presentations will not be considered in the final program if symposium fees have not been prepaid.

We hope you will circulate this Call for Papers to your colleagues and others in your professional network, and to any discussion groups to which you may subscribe. For more information, please contact Reyes Gómez rgommor@upo.es or Manuel Padilla mpadillacruz@us.es. We hope to see you in February 2008, here in Seville.

Thank you for your interest

The Organising Committee
Dr. Reyes Gómez
Dr. Lucía Fernández