RT list: Procedural meaning of 'so that'

From: Goh Lan Fun <gohlanfun@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri Mar 16 2007 - 06:35:59 GMT

Dear all,

        I would like to hear more opinions on the procedural meaning of 'so that'. To me, 'so that' is a discourse marker and the proposition introduced by 'so that' is the intended result of the intended action presented in the first proposition. Is this procedural or conceptual?

       e.g. She gave away her daughter to a couple so that her daughter could have a better life.

       In fact, my question is does 'so that' have procedural meaning?

       Please enlighten me. Hope to receive your reply as soon as possible.

       Thank you very much.

  Best regards,
  Lan Fun