RT list: Availability Principle/RT

From: Pang Jiaguang <pangjiaguang@163.com>
Date: Tue Jan 30 2007 - 01:11:18 GMT

Dear all,

    Now I am writing a paper on Recanati's book "literal meaning"(Cambridge 2004). i meet a problem that is the difference between Recanati's Availability Principle and RT. Perhaps you think, it's a piece of cake, but when deeply studied, I will find they are much similar.
  to Availability Principle, the selection of meaning (the signified) is available in the mind.as for RT, the latest idea is that the selection of meaning "follows a path of least effort in computing cognitive effects" (Sperber and Wilson, 2002). it cognitively means availability too.
  who can tell the difference between them?
  In addition, I have few materials on Recanati's Availability Principle. If someone email me something on it, I will be sincerely grateful.

Best wishes

Jiaguang

2007-01-30

Pang jiaguang