RT list: Submission from [Bertrand Labasse <B.Labasse-ScPresse@univ-lyon1.fr>]

From: Nicholas Allott <n.allott@ucl.ac.uk>
Date: Sun Oct 15 2006 - 22:41:08 BST

Dan Sperber wrote :
>> My question is, why is this a problem, or if you prefer, what
>> problem is it?

Yes, the vagueness of effort and effect formulation can be a major
problem in many cases, for instance:
- to extend the relevance framework from an individual to a social
scale (example: social relevance of political news compared to
entertainment);
- to consider relevance in an applied perspective (example: didactics
of writing);
- to examine the compatibility (interface) between relevance theory
and the body of psychological knowledge on language processing
(example: text comprehension);
- to set up experiments with properly controlled variables, etc.

But it is not certain that jumping to neurology is absolutely
necessary. In fact, that would be quite an impressive jump, from an
heuristic conception to a positivistic conception of human cognition.
A middle way is to consider the tasks required in language
processing. I happened to work on a simplified taxonomy of these
efforts. Here is a simplified version of this already simplified
taxonomy (!), ranked from low level (bottom up) to high level (top
down) parameters :

- perceptive efforts (distinguishing signal from noise);
- lexico-syntaxic efforts (lexical access, sentence parsing);
- coherence handling efforts (inferences, etc.)
- mental modeling efforts (representation)

The point is that the two first levels of effort can indeed be
quantified. The third might be quantified, at the price of some
research. And I personally doubt that the fourth level could be
quantified, but I wouldn't bet too much on that. Anyway, four defined
kinds of factors (two of whom being quantifiable), is better than a
general concept.

When it comes to cognitive effects, the available literature is less
detailed, but we can assume that there are also four main kinds of
variables (Schank, 1979), ranking from low-level to high-level
factors. The lowest level includes stimuli common to most evolved
species - like sex, etc. By the way, I never figured out how this
kind of effect factors, apparently predominant in human information
processing (especially on the Internet...), can fit in the classic
definition of effect as "improvements to the individual's knowledge".
Anyway, here again, I am not sure that any of these classes of
factors could be accurately quantified, but they can be assessed.

Best wishes

    Bertrand Labasse