RT list: Discourse connectives

From: Goh Lan Fun <gohlanfun@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri Aug 11 2006 - 08:33:41 BST

Hi everybody,

  I am Goh Lan Fun from Malaysia and currently I am doing a research for my MA degree. I plan to do a research on constraints on interpretation using the discourse connectives 'so', 'so that' or 'and' using a corpus of written texts, i.e. biblical texts or newspaper articles. Is it feasible?

  In fact, till now I have not decided which discourse connectives to study as I find out that there are many discourse connectives which have been studied.

  Initially, I plan to study the difference between 'so' and 'so that', but I am not quite sure whether 'so that' is a conjunction or not or the word 'that' has to be there structurally only? Is there any difference between 'so' and 'so that'?

   I would also like to find out the examples used in the study done on 'and' and 'so' were taken from a corpus or were formed by the researchers?

  I hope to receive your reply as soon as possible.

  Thank you.