RT vs semiotics

From: J L Speranza (jls@netverk.com.ar)
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 09:02:19 GMT

    In "RT vs semiotics" [forwarded by nicholasallott@mac.com], M. Jahn, of
    Frankfurt, Germany, refers to

    >relevance theory and the code model.

    specifically looking for references

    >critizising relevance theory from
    >the view-point of Semiotics.

    While

    >RT criticises the code model [...]

    she has not been able

    >to find literature which tells me what
    >the semiotic[ians themselves] thinks
    >about RT.
    >Maybe you could help me and give me some
    >references.

    Have you tried a semiotics mailing list? (Only joking!). In any case, there
    is this document, at
    www.gem.stir.ac.uk/downloads/RWchap5.pdf where the author writes that

    >Sperber and Wilson [...] are scathing about Barthes

    and that

    >[their] characterisation of semiology
    >is an oversimplification.

    Note: not an ordinary common-or-garden simplification, but an "_over_-"
    one. The author goes on to develop how the Barthes of _S/Z_ indeed tries to
    go _beyond_ the code model with which Sperber and Wilson wedded him. (More
    text below).

    On the other hand, there's Grice. There is this author at
    http://plaza27.mbn.or.jp/~homosignificans/fallacy.htm who says that Grice,
    for all he wrote about things, was terribly confused about _signs_ and
    such. Surely, black clouds don't (cannot) _mean_ rain or _anything_ for
    that matter (nor spotless do or can mean measles, to use Grice's own
    example in the 1948 essay). The author thinks that to say such thing (that
    a spot can mean measles) is to denote (mean?) that one hasn't got the
    minimal idea of what semiotics is all about. (More passages below).

    Yet, I would like to say that:

    * The idea -- of the author of www.gem.stir.ac.uk/downloads/RWchap5.pdf --
    that RT just wants to get rid of the code model is what looks to me as
    _yet_ another of those oversimplifications you find from time to time.

    * I'm less sure how to attack the criticism of Grice -- in particular his
    take on 'natural meaning' -- by
    http://plaza27.mbn.or.jp/~homosignificans/fallacy.htm

    But one does not *have* to be so _antagonistic_, I'd tell Jahn, and would
    think that there is hope that 'and' be used instead of 'vs' when dealing
    with semiotics and RT (or Gricean pragmatics).

    For: for one, practioners of RT (such as D. Sperber) are indeed free to use
    'semiotic' as they please (and thus contributing to 'semiotics' -- which
    need _not_ be identified with 'code model'):

        http://www.kli.ac.at/theorylab/TOCs/S/SperberD00.htm

        "Current approaches to metarepresentations
        derive from semiotic and philosophical interest
        in metalinguistic devices."

        "[P]hilosophers, [...], linguists, [...],
        semioticians, [...] have been interested in
        different _types_ of metarepresentations."
          (emphasis mine. JLS)

    On the other hand, perhaps the author of
    http://plaza27.mbn.or.jp/~homosignificans/fallacy.htm
    is _wrong_ (or not so right) and one can envisage some room for some sort
    of 'Gricean naturalism' -- albeit revisited.

    I'd add a few more RT/Gricean-semiotic interfaces:

    G. Cosenza has now edited _Grice's Heritage_ -- which is the outcome of the
    proceedings of a conference (D. Wilson participating) -- held at ... The
    Centre for Semiotic Studies. When are _they_ having a conference on ...
    Barthes, say! (I wouldn't say 'post-Ecoian' because that's _rude_ -- but
    why is that "_post-Chomskyan_" *is* used by people like T. Moore and C.
    Carling?).

    Plus, I would bet I. Mckenzie's book (Relevance and Deconstruction) touches
    on matters semeiotical.

    Cheers,

    JL

    ======
    More links on the Grice-RT/semiotic interface:

    http://www.chss.montclair.edu/inquiry/summ95/yoos.html
        "[While I had concluded in my own thesis
        on Morris's _Signs, Language and Behavior_
        that his behavioral approach to "semiotic"
        was a dead end in language study (as it
        later proved to be) [I came across with
        Sperber/Wilson's _Relevance_].
        "Sperber and Wilson thus present a theory
        that proposes to account for all the
        important aspects of communication that
        are _not_ accounted for by semiotic theories
        such as I originally encountered in Carnap
        and Morris. When I read Sperber and Wilson
        for the first time, I recognized that the
        book summarized for me what had been a
        slow evolution in my own thinking. Their work,
        as that of [...] Grice, marks a significant
        paradigm shift in the study of pragmatics.
        They summarize for me the revolution in
        critical thinking that has taken place
        in the last half of the twentieth century
        centering on argument in the natural languages.

    (It's not clear to me if that makes the author a 'neo-Gricean' or a
    'post-Gricean', though)

    http://www.ntu.edu.au/education/csle/student/jang/jang2.html
        "Typical communication theories
        ally themselves with the encoding-decoding
        dichotomy of traditional semiotic approaches,
        while most cognitive approaches regard
        cognition as construction of meaning through
        inference. This conflict, however, seems well
        resolved by Sperber and Wilson (1995)
        in terms of relevance theory."

    http://cognet.mit.edu/MITECS/Entry/horn2
        L. Horn/Ward, 'pragmatics':
        "In the semiotic trichotomy developed by
        Morris, Carnap, and Peirce, pragmatics
        addresses the relation of signs to their
        users and interpreters."
        "Although some have argued for a pragmatics
        module (or even a pragmatic component
        in the grammar), Sperber and Wilson
        argue that, like scientific reasoning
        -- the paradigm case of a nonmodular,
        horizontal system -- pragmatics cannot
        be a module, given the indeterminacy
        of the predictions it offers and the
        global knowledge it invokes."

    http://www.uea.ac.uk/eas/Teaching/Post%20Grad/pgunits/linguistics.htm
        "Theorists studied include Barthes, Peirce, Jakobson,
        Halliday, Grice, Sperber & Wilson, Habermas, Bateson
        and others. The course is both interdisciplinary and
        methodological. We will be developing means for
        the semiotic, linguistic and cultural interpretation
        and critique of texts. Some of the approaches to be
        discussed will be:
        Semiotics: Saussure, Barthes, Peirce. Types of sign.
        Grice, speaker meaning and implicature.
        Sperber and Wilson's pragmatics: Relevance Theory.

    [Okay -- you'd have to attend the course, but you can always contact the
    authors and ask _them_ if they know of a specific semiotician's critique of
    RT]

    http://angli02.kgw.tu-berlin.de/semiotik/english/courses/tp01ss_e.htm
         "Theoretical semiotics: Pragmatik (Pragmatics)
         Games with language, acts of speaking and
         conversation are central themes of pragmatics.
         The seminar compares classic approaches to
         pragmatics (Grice) with newer approaches
         to cognitive pragmatics (Sperber/Wilson).

    [Again, nothing more than a syllabus but I add it because I liked the url:
    'semiotik'].

    http://www.arthist.lu.se/kultsem/sonesson/life_of_signs3.html
          Signs in society — and out of it: a critique
          of the communication critique
          Consider an example from Sperber & Wilson
          (1986: 55). When Peter opens the door
          to their apartment, Mary stops and sniffs
          ostensibly.

    http://www.u.arizona.edu/~harnish/teaching/465-pragmatics-syllabus.html
          "The Nature and Origins of Pragmatics
          The 'Semiotic' Tradition: Morris, Carnap
          Special Topic: Relevance Theory

    http//www.soi.city.ac.uk/~hmk/ch3.ps.gz
    Discusses: "semiotics", "semiology", "semiosis" ... and Grice.

    www.univ.trieste.it/~dipfilo/sbisa/ms_eng.html
          "M. Sbisa has worked in the fields of
          philosophy of language [Grice]
          and semiotics.

    http://www.russelldale.com/dissertation/biblio.html
         Black M. The Semiotics of Charles Morris.
               In Black.

    [I found this of interest given that Black has also written on Grice --
    notably in:
         Black M. Meaning and intention: an examination of Grice's views.
         New Literary History, vol. 4. Repr. in Black.
         and cfr.
         Martinich A. Meaning and intention: Black versus Grice.
         Dialectica, vol. 44.]

    http://www.univ.trieste.it/~dipfilo/sbisa/pub_eng.html
    Giovanna Cosenza (ed.), Paul Grice's Heritage, Turnhout: Brepols, 2001.

    http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/robyn/relevance/ relevance_archives/0021.html
        "I am thinking here Hallidayan social
        semiotics and so-called critical discourse."

    www.gem.stir.ac.uk/downloads/RWchap5.pdf
        "Sperber & Wilson (1986) have recently
        criticized the coding model that they
        attribute to many linguists [...], and to
        semiologists in particular. [...]
        Sperber & Wilson's characterisation
        of semiology -- they are particularly
        scathing about Barthes -- is however
        an oversimplification. A number of
        prominent semiologists have written
        perceptively about the role of the reader.
        Barthes does remain committed to the
        concept of codes, although he stretches
        the ordinary meaning of the term somewhat.
        While Barthes is extravagant, Eco is
        meticulous (in defining 'code').

    http://plaza27.mbn.or.jp/~homosignificans/fallacy.htm
        "As for the verb 'to mean,' Grice classifies
        its uses roughly into two classes in his much
        influential article [...] According to him,
        this verb is used in its "natural meaning"
        as well as in its "non-natural meaning." [sic]
        For example, he insists, in the sentence

                "Those spots mean measles".

         the verb 'mean' has only a natural meaning.
         To say that those spots mean measles naturally
         is to say that there is some causation between
         the spots and measles. They have called this
         sort of sign that consists of a natural tie
         between cause and result a 'symptom' whose
         etymolgy is the same as that of the word
         'syndrome.' They originally mean 'that which falls
         together with something.' The orthodox
         semiotics in which Grice holds an important
         position has recognized those signs that
         consist of the factual relation between
         one thing and another, the typical example
         of which is causation. This type of
         sign includes a symptom that is the
         subject of this essay and an index in
         the Peircenian sense. As mentioned above,
         they have called signs of this kind 'natural signs'.
         According to this tradition, facial expressions
         such as blushing, widening one's eyes, yelling, etc.,
         are nothing but natural signs. It is said that
         excitement of some area of the central
         nervous system causes anger. This cause,
         it is said, brings about a remarkable
         increase of blood quantity in one's face
         so that blushing of one's face occurs.
         Such a category of orthodox semiotics, however,
         seems to be

                   extremely misleading

         because such phenomena, though those are
         called signs, have virtually no intrinsic
         meaning. They are just trivial events
         that occur in nature. It is by accident that
         they come to be signs. The intention to
         communicate something to others does
         not necessarily belong to symptoms. Still
         less they are not such phenomena that
         contain the intention to let others
         notice the intention to inform in
         the same way as linguistic signs do.