"Give us a golden age of grammar"
by Dan Clayton and Dick Hudson
last changed: 30 April 2012
This page is intended to provide background information relevant to the article in the Times Education Supplement for 5 November 2010 by Dan Clayton and Dick Hudson. (By the way, it wasn't us that wrote the title! Our suggestion was "They likes grammar".)
- A brief summary article in the same issue of TES.
- The Daily Mail article about non-standard grammar in Portsmouth.
- A comment by Dan.
- A similar piece in The Independent about English being 'under threat'
- And another piece in The Independent about a speech by Emma Thompson in which she urged children to learn Standard English and to switch into it in official situations.
- The research on the effects of grammar-teaching on the quality of pupils' writing:
- The audit of school-leavers' knowledge of basic grammatical terminology:
- The success of A-level English Language:
- A statement about standard English in relation to non-standard varieties agreed by the Committee for Linguistics in Education.
- A website about the role of grammar in secondary English, commissioned by the Secondary Strategy and written by Dick.
- Some websites for teachers about grammar and how to use it in teaching: